Thursday, July 28, 2005

the overdued post...

hey guess what? after months of contemplating on my fate of the possibility and likelihood of me remaining unemployed for another year or so... then beyond my wildest expectations…. KABOOM.... I’ve got a job... well... the whole job thing was kinda surprising and shocking... as I didn’t expect to be offered a job on the spot!! well.. before you guys open your eyes wide and let your mouths hang open...well... let's just say that the reason I managed to obtain this job instantly was because the HR manager of that company is my mum's close friend.. ah... sounds familiar? CONNECTIONS is the key my friends ... CONNECTIONS.... and of course with a little bit of luck and a little bit of impressive answers given during the interview. And I guess the HR manager was impressed with my answers. She asked me a few questions, which are relevant to my degree, and I’m astounded to know that I could actually answer those questions really well. As prior to this interview. I have to say that I fared quite badly in those previous interviews… I guess it was because I suffered from nerve attack or somethin’ and I was not confident at all. This time around, I was more relax and a little bit more confident. I think. I’m also kind of surprise that all those information are still in my already jam packed brain...well, honestly i crapped all the way. Thank goodness that for the first time in my life, all my crap talking was finally put to good use. haha.
anyways, I’m currently working at a Swiss company called Contraves Advanced Devices Sdn. Bhd (Contraves Space). It’s located at the Free Trade Zone in Batu Berendam, Malacca. Well, it’s around Infineon and National semiconductor. My working hours are Monday to Friday, from 7.50a.m. to 5.25pm, albeit my supervisor told me that he expects me to stay till around 6.30pm or 7pm like everyone else. Damn. And I will not be paid for those exra hours. How sad is that? My breakfast break is at 10a.m (15mins) and my lunch break is at 1pm(30mins). O, an interesting info, both breakfast and lunch will be provided. Cool huh? But then again, don’t expect good food ler….and of course, when you are served free meals, you should not complain right? The food might not be of the highest quality but it’s edible. I’m yet to suffer from food poisoning though… just a little insight on what they have served so far.

1st day
Breakfast- Fried kuay teow
Lunch- rice with veggies and prawns

2nd day
Breakfast- rojak
Lunch- rice with veggies and fish( sambal kembung), though I didn’t eat the fish after my first bite.. cozz it had a very er fishy taste..

3rd day
Breakfast- roti john’s contents wrapped with roti canai… how weird is that…. The taste was ok…though
Lunch-the usual stuff.

*just a little reminder to my fellow readers out there, whenever you complained about how life can be unfair sometimes, or your life suck or things aint going the way that you wanted or that your mum’s cooking is lousy or that your mum prepared too little dish for meals or how you wished that you can tuck in 5 course meals everyday…or how you wished that you have a Mercedes benz s-class, or a bmw 5 series, or a jetplane, or a castle, or maybe how you wished that you’re Donald trump or bill gates or the queen of England….. well, before you even think of whinning about how your life suck and on lousy and unsatisfactory food served before your eyes…take a minute to think of the millions of African kids on the other side of the globe, with no food at all, no clean water to drink, no shelter over their heads, sleeping on the streets.. no clothes to wear, kids with no proper and adequate medical care..and kids who drank stone soups for their meals…yeah stone soups are soups which your main and only ingredients are stones or ate mudpies for dinner, or kids who ate nothing at all, and go to bed with empty and bloated stomachs everynight. Babies who suckled on their mum’s immensely small and shrunken breasts and I doubt there would be any milk left in there. Kids who are swarmed with flies 24/7, kids who are waiting for their time to come, their short life to end, waiting on their deathbeds, praying for help to arrive, though sometimes it seemed like their prayers went unanswered...praying for some good soul to save their lives… or perhaps maybe angels??and even after the live8 concert, a concert organized by a few countries to pressurize the 8 most powerful leaders in the world to make a change in Africa, to ensure that poverty is eradicated for good,to cancel all debts..…though, very little change can be seen…or maybe those leaders did send truckloads of aids there but certain parties in Africa stole it and used it for their own personal use….and most of these thieves are mostly consists of the people with power.May God condemn these heartless and cold creatures to the hot and ever boiling depths of hell….
Ok, I’m getting a little carried away. Haha.. yeah… so dig that my fellow, readers dig that…that’s the truth that sometimes we, the lucky ones who have everything in the world, family, friends, shelter, food, car, clothes and a few additional comforts of life, took for granted. Why don’t you try to think out of the box for a few seconds, and try to be in those kids' shoes, what if we are those kids? Kids who will never live past the age of 3 or maybe 2? Kids who’ll never ever get the chance to enjoy the beauty and wonders of life? kids who never had a decent meal and a warm bed to sleep in since the day they were born? All I’m trying to emphasize here is that be THANKFUL and GRATEFUL with whatever that you are blessed with. and stop whinning about life… take life as it is… though sometimes life can be a real pain in the ass sometimes…haha….* So before you start whinning your asses off.. think of what you already have and already achieved and what don’t they have….. and what they'll never achieve.
well, it's not like i dont whine about my life at all. in fact i do whine about my life quite frequently as well. muahahaha... well, just try not too.

I was supposed to work in the HR department but since the materials planning and purchasing department is in dire needs of assistance, therefore, I’m currently assigned to that department. I’m given my own desk… DESK, not room haaaha.. well.. the whole department is basically just a room with desks around… there are no walls to divide us at all… I guess the reason why they didn’t install those partitions in the first place is because they encourage teamwork and they want us to work as one, as a team, and not as individuals. I’ll be given a desktop PC….in the coming weeks and I’ll be taught how to use the materials and inventory planning and purchasing system. My supervisor just showed and explained briefly what the entire system is about for about half and hour and after that, he asked me whether I understood what he had just explained and I remained quite for about 30 seconds and I just gave him the “ I don’t have the slightest idea” kinda look and I sort of just shrugged my shoulders and gave him a feeble smile. I guess that explains it all.. haha..Luckily he was understanding and he told me that he’ll explain it to me again when I get my pc. So, he’s cool about it. Damn, that certainly was a close call. And I thought that I’ll be fired on my first day itself… then I bet I’ll make it into the Malaysian book of records!. And I’ll be famous….

Well, since I’m yet to receive my pc, all I do and will continue doing till I get my pc that is…. in that department is:
1) Offset the Incoming Reports(IR) with the Purchase Orders(P.O.)- something which I deemed as easy but a little confusing. It’s quite easy actually, because it’s a little like accounts, so, it’s cool.
2) Filing
3) Fax purchase orders to customers all over the globe, be it china or the U.K.
4) And calling and bugging the hell out of the suppliers to speed up their supplies to our warehouse.
5) and converting all the price of the goods from U.S. dollar to different currencies, such as swiss franc, euro, aussie dollar, pounds and many others.

My subordinates are a bunch of very friendly and helpful people, thus far, and I’ve even found a Manchester united fan in my department already!! I Like!! Eventhough, i've heard lots of stories about office politics and the backstabbers, I shall remain optimistic and give my colleagues the benefit of the doubt. however, one theory stands strong, NEVER trust anyone in the office... You wont know who are friends or who are foes...so, i'll just have to be vigilant at all times and watch my back. well, at least, that was what my cousin told me. hahha...
The bathroom is damn weird, the management sort of have an auto off cum energy saver device where the toilet’s lights will turn off by itself every 8 mins!! And the bloody lights turned off when I was attending to my nature calls, today,TWICE!! At first I thought, who the hell is playing pranks on me and it's a company not high school, and we are supposedly mature adults… and I was cursing at that culprit until I learnt of the toilet device thingy… haha.. Luckily i didnt scream " turn the bloody lights on, you toot!". my human resource manager's office is just directly opposite of the toilet and if i were to utter those few words and if she happened to be around, needless to say, i'll be so dead.

On a lighter note, people always say that bad luck comes in threes right? Well, in my case, it’s fours….
Well, first I almost fell when I was on my way to the cafeteria, then, after grabbing my plate of fried kuey teow in one hand and tea in another, and was walking to the table, I slipped and almost fell again, and my tea splattered all over the floor but I couldn’t care less and just continued walking anyways with my empty cup. hahha. And I swear that people around me were trying very hard not to laugh…fine… and as I was walking back to my department, I slipped again!! I blame it on the morning rain, which left the tiles wet and slippery and plus, I was wearing high heels, and i think that the cafeteria is partly cursed as well, as i didnt fall anywhere else except enroute to the cafeteria, at the cafeteria and enroute back to the department.
So, just as I thought that my day couldn’t possibly get any worse, soon after work, as I was reversing my car out of a tight parking space, and simultaneously, I was muttering to myself about how sore my feet were and how the pain was killing me, and then, CRASH!.. guess what?? I reversed my car into an electric pole….damn!! i swear the electric pole wasnt there when i parked my car!! someone must have shifted the pole.. and placed it right at the back of my damn car.... hahaha....cool excuse huh? i was thinking of using that excuse, if my parents interrogate me about the fresh scratches at the back of my car...luckily it’s just a couple of scratches, but the paint chipped off. Great!! it’s not like my car’s shape isn’t bad enough… now, I’ve added that to my collection of dents and scratches of my poor ole’ car… sob….and luckily my parents’ didn’t notice those scratches or else I’ll be so dead…

And just yesterday, my parents have officially unplugged my streamyx, citing my bros are about to have their major exams soon. So no more internet!! What the..??!! looks like I would have to pay frequent visits to my good ole’ MMU….


Adios,,,,

2 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very long posts man. Wow. I just wan to say that I'm now allergic to the term "my friend(s)". This is due to a certain Advanced Robotics lecturer who overuses it.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger cutie_rocker83 said...

You and ur art of fallling..sigh. Joanna is right, you really should write a book about all ur fallings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My fellow Bloggers
  • su lyn
  • agnes
  • joanna
  • da-council
  • justin
  • yuri
  • su yin
  • shen weng
  • yen ying
  • dominic
  • my bro, aaron